Friday, February 25, 2011

I Made Pillows

After making my bench and adding color with my pillow to my very grey room, I decided more pillows and colors were needed.  So I found these napkins at Target on clearance in just the right color.
I bought some pillows at Big Lots that were even cheaper than pillow inserts from Joann Fabrics.
I had my mom thread the antique sewing machine (it actually belonged to my seamstress grandmother, Mamama) and I sewed.  Here I am below trying to keep a straight line. I made a skirt when I was in 6th or 7th grade with my mom's help. I've never sewn again. It's not difficult at all, well, especially that my mom was next to me the whole time.
My 2 1/2 year old nephew was very curious and stood around and watched.  He ended up on my lap as I sewed and you'll see the result of that later.
He would touch the machine and say it was hot.  He also would roll the knob on the side to bring the needle down as I sewed. It was pretty cute. 
He wanted to help cut the thread with his scissors.  Yes, there is a band aid on his forehead, and no, he was not cut or injured.  His shirt had about 5 across the front and his shorts had one,  Buzz Lightyear of course.
Here they are.  I love the combination of colors.  If you look closely at the top of the blue pillow, there is a little bit of wonkiness going on there. Learning to sew and sewing a straight line with a kid sitting on your lap is probably not the best case scenario, but I wouldn't change it for a thing.
So have you sewn anything exciting lately?

I want to say a deep heartfelt thank you to the following amazing blogs for featuring my bench




Boogieboard Cottage

Visit thecsiproject.com

18 comments:

KLM 2/25/2011  

Fantastic job! Love the print and the color is perfect. It matches so well with your other pillows. Have a great day! :)

Danika Herrick 2/25/2011  

I'm telling you, you are going to be sewing up a storm and addicted! They look great!
Your son is adorable. I find that I am able to get a ton more done when I involve them and make it a project, and they actually really get into it.
Nice work girl!
Danika

Kim@Chattafabulous 2/25/2011  

I wish I could sew! I wouldn't even know how to put the thread on the machine. Sad but true. Love your cute napkins turned pillows - and your assistant is a cutie!!!

Anonymous,  2/25/2011  

awesome.. you did it!! :)
do love the fabric choices... so much!

jeanette from everton terrace 2/25/2011  

I can't sew (or cut) a straight line even without anyone sitting on my lap. I have made pillows and hemmed curtains and that's about it. I would love to be able to makes clothes. I remember the sewing portion of Home Ec in junior high. The teacher told me perhaps I should just watch because my talents seemed more appropriate to the cooking portion of the class :)
Love your pillows!

LBB 2/25/2011  

Those turned out great! I love the napkins turned pillows! Clearance sheets or fabric shower curtains are awesome way to get loads of fabric @ such a cheap price too :)

Anonymous,  2/25/2011  

It looks great! I picke up some awesome clearance items at Target recently too...I'm looking forward to some future projects :)

Margaret 2/25/2011  

The blue looks AWESOME with the yellow and gray. I really really want to learn how to sew. What a cool thing to be able to make accessories that PERFECTLY match what you're trying to do. Any tips for the non-sewers (like me!) out there?

Margaret
Sugar&Spackle

Vicky 2/25/2011  

You are a freaking craftaholic!!!!! I wish I could sew. No talent for that at all. Open an Etsy and let me buy something from you. Or, do you know how to make the no sew pillows? I saw you on Better After. Woo Hoo.

A Vintage Vine 2/25/2011  

Love the new pillow! Congrats on the features...you deserved them!!! The bench was perfectly madeover!

DANA 2/25/2011  

You made the finals! Here is the link!

http://www.thesaturdaymorningsblog.com/2011/02/february-round-4-finalists.html

Carol@TheDesignPages 2/25/2011  

Love that idea!! Great job on the pillows and your little helper is adorable:)

Five Seconds From Crazy 2/25/2011  

Great work! I love your decorating style!
Saw you over at Life, Crafts and Whatever and checked you out...so glad I did! You rock!

DANA 2/25/2011  

THE VOTING IS OPEN, AND YOU ARE IN THE RUNNING, SO GO CHECK OUT THE POLL, GRAB YOUR FINALIST BUTTON, AND GET TO VOTING! HERE IS THE LINK!

http://www.thesaturdaymorningsblog.com/2011/02/voting-for-best-of-february-2011-here.html

Unknown 2/25/2011  

I have been working on a slip cover. I will be making curtains this next week, but I just got on a sewing kick.

Jodi 2/25/2011  

Your pillows look great, never thought of looking elsewhere for fabric to use for pillows. I will definately be on the lookout from now on!

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home 2/26/2011  

Those are some great pillows. Thank you for sharing. I'm your newest follower. It would be great if you could stop by my blog Monday and add your project to The More The Merrier Link Party.

http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

Anna@Directions Not Included 3/02/2011  

I didn't see this post until now. I have tears in my eyes. I can't believe you learned on Mamama's machine! I just had my first machine delivered this past week.
The pillows look great.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...