Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The 70's Attacked our Dining Room

I know the picture below is a kitchen, actually, you can't really tell what it is, huh? That my friends was the view from our front door when we bought our house.  Yes, that is a kitchen hiding behind the slate and Formica rust counter tops.  How we saw past this, I'm not sure.

This is the bar area. Pour me a drink, please.

This is the kitchen, and yes there is a counter top floating in the air.  

We were so young and naive when we bought the house.  We actually considered living with the kitchen until we could afford to fix it. I bleached the heck out of everything and even put a frame on the counter top.  Figuring, why not decorate while we fix the house.   I think this plan lasted about two days, until my sister-in-law suggested that we move the kitchen to the existing den. My then boyfriend/now husband was in Denver on business and I called him right away with our new plan. He, thankfully agreed. 

So we removed the slab of slate and concrete, ripped out the counter tops, copper vent hood, and cabinets.

We removed this half wall that was dividing the room in half.  This was quite the project. I'm talking metal beam across our ceiling.  We ripped out the 1970's octagonal tiles that was partially lifted in certain areas. Only to find years' worth of dog hair collecting under the tile.  The exposed concrete block is what we ended up tearing down to widen the entryway into our future kitchen.

We had our handyman blow out the kitchen door and widen the space for a window.

Here is the space before we moved in.  The floors are freshly polished.  I think what drew us to this crazy house, was the wood beam ceilings. They are just so beautiful. 

Here it is today.

We love the way this room feels. It's bright and open. It's not a large dining room, but with the space in the room we are able to add tables on to ours when we need to. We once sat about 30 people for dinner in this space.  I am thinking my $1.00 mirror will go on the empty wall by the table.  The room you see through the opening is my family room.

20 comments:

A Flair for Vintage Decor 1/12/2011  

What a wonderful job!! Such a great space...and love those wood beams too...I am planning on having exposed wood beams in our family room house plans! Happy Wednesday! Caroline

Kim@Chattafabulous 1/12/2011  

My goodness that is fantastic! It took real vision to create space you have now from what you started with! Also, I nominated you for the Stylish Blogger award. Stop by when you can!!!

Dwellings by DeVore 1/12/2011  

WOW! What a major transformation!

Jenn 1/12/2011  

The before pics are to die for! What a great vision and fantastic after..

KLM 1/12/2011  

That is some impressive transformation... although that rusty colored counter top and slate everything is impressive don't ya think?? Throw up a disco ball and you've got yourself a party!!

Okay... not quite ;)

Anna@Directions Not Included 1/12/2011  

Your dining room, kitchen and family room are my favorite in your house. They have such a great open feel to them. You've done such a great job in those spaces. I can't believe it is the same house.

jeanette from everton terrace 1/12/2011  

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog and for entering my giveaway (good luck). Just took a quick poke around here and I can see we have the same interests. We spent 5 years gutting and transforming our current home which was a tear down when we bought it. I try to show before and afters about once a month - you did an amazing job. What a funky space that was before, though I'm sure quite cool when it was new. Look forward to visiting you more (love that mirror by the way).

Anonymous,  1/12/2011  

what an incredible space! Love it :)

Anonymous,  1/12/2011  

Such an amazing transformation! Love that look and absolutely adore the flooring!

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking.com 1/12/2011  

Wow what a difference! Really impressive!

lisaroy 1/13/2011  

wow what an incredible transformation!! I've been posting about my kitchen re-do this week and to be honest, that slate and countertop beats my Before anyday as worst Before!! Just found your blog and I love it! :)

Elle Uy 1/15/2011  

I would have run if I saw all that slate, much less make a purchase! :D Great job on seeing way past that, and now it's really beautiful!

Amber @ Luv and Laughter 1/15/2011  

Thanks for stopping by my blog. What an amazing transformation!

Kristina @ A Home Made by Kiki 1/16/2011  

What a transformation!! I love those wood beams too! We are currently remodeling our kitchen and we have knocked down a wall and some cabinets in order to open up the room. What a great space you have now! I'm your newest follower and I would love it if you would follow me too!

http://ahomemadebykiki.blogspot.com

Military Spouse House 1/21/2011  

Thanks for viewing my blog! And... Wow, what an amazing difference! You guys put so much work into it and I'm sure it makes the transformation 'that much' better! I love how airy the room feels!

Anonymous,  2/01/2011  

Wow! Unbelievable transformation!

Mindy 6/18/2011  

WOW!!! All of the before and afters are INSANE!!! I'd love to redo our kitchen, but it isn't in the cards yet (I've only been wanting to for 10 years now). I've looked into Ikea cabinets and have actually done the online planning with them to get a rough estimate. How do you like yours?

Roeshel 6/29/2011  

Wow! What a huge undertaking but great move! Love it! :)

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com 9/23/2011  

That is an amazing transformation! Love the beams and the floor!

Jena @ Involving Color and Home 9/23/2011  

Wow, I can't believe the before and afters are the same space! That was such a great idea to move the kitchen. Your dining room is beautiful, and thanks so much for linking up to Roomspiration!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...