Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Wood Shims Wall Art

I've been oohing and aahing over this image for a couple of months now.  When my sister first decided that she wanted my help to completely redo her apartment, I sent her this image.  That wall sculpture is amazing.  My little DIY brain started working and scheming as to how I could make something similar.  There is no way that I could find gold metal pieces and weld them together.  I'm a glue gun kind of girl.

Decorpad
I thought of using the same concept as my sunburst mirror, wood shims, paint, some wreaths from Michael's,and my glue gun. 
I painted them using Folk Art Pure Gold acrylic paint from Michael's.
I bought two wreaths, also from Michael's.  An 18 inch and a 12 inch one.  I off centered them.
I glued the shims spaced apart.   As I went around the wreath, I started placing them further in.
As I got to the "short" side, I actually cut them. 
I just filled in the spaces with shims.
After I glued them all on, it sat in my family room for about a week.  I wasn't loving the center of it. 
I asked my mom (the art teacher), if she had something I could use.  I was thinking maybe large macrame beads or something.  She happened to have a box full of wooden pieces.  All different shapes and sizes.  I picked varying sizes of what you see below.
I randomly glued them on. I glued them off the the side, where the shims meet in the (off) middle.
Here it is with the wooden things painted the same gold.  At this point, I still needed to add some shims to the right to continue the uneven look.
Here it is! I hung up in my house to take the picture.
It's a loose interpretation of my inspiration, but I'm kind of liking it.  It feels like a modern flower.  If my sister likes it, it will be hung in her 'new' dining room.
Cost of project:
Wood shims $10
All other supplies $10 at Michael's using 40% coupons
Total cost about $20
What do you think?
 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/
The DIY Show Off

42 comments:

Anonymous,  5/17/2011  

awesome!

Bri@Meyouandawiener 5/17/2011  

Pretty cool I think you should keep it!

Lisa @ Turning Tables 5/17/2011  

I think it's awesome!!! It totally looks like a modern flower and I would definitely hang that in my dining room. As you know, I just started my blog, but after seeing your tutorial, I made my very own sunburst mirror just like yours (well, yours is definitely more polished looking and evenly spaced, but very similar to yours nonetheless). I will blog about it and will link to you so you can see it and get the credit for teaching me your skills :) Happy Tuesday! -Lisa - Turning Tables (Ali's sis)

Ali Richardson 5/17/2011  

SO SO awesome!!!! I love it :)

Amy 5/17/2011  

That is pretty cool! I am loving it!

Camilla 5/17/2011  

You have such a modern taste! I love it...Love the project.

Emilee,  5/17/2011  

I like you're better than the original! Great creativity!!

Emilee,  5/17/2011  

yours..not you're...ok how typo's drive me nuts after I post them! LOL

Anonymous,  5/17/2011  

Oh, I REALLY like this one! I think it looks great just the way it is!!

C.LEE 5/17/2011  

I LOVE this!!! What a great idea! It looks awesome!

~april 5/17/2011  

Very creative! ! Can you please email me the paint color /brand of you gray wall??I love it! Aprilscraftnest at gmail dot com

Unknown 5/17/2011  

What a great idea! So creative:) That inspiration image is one of my current favorites... so so pretty!

Karen 5/17/2011  

Love it, you could go in so many directions-glossy white or a hot pink would be fun too. I love me a low cost DIY.

Allie 5/17/2011  

Oh. WOW. Saw this on TT&J's facebook page. this is awesome. Excellent job!

modernhaus 5/17/2011  

You know what? I actually think yours is more organic and textural than the original piece. Especially under that light. I really like it!

Unknown 5/17/2011  

Amazing! Looks great on that wall color!

mary 5/17/2011  

Yay! Looks sooo chic on your beautiful walls! And finished in rapid time! xox!

LBB 5/17/2011  

Amazing! I really love how it turned out!! I'd want to keep it :)

Kirsten Krason 5/17/2011  

That looks amazing! You are so creative to think of that.

Andie Jaye 5/18/2011  

what fun! reminds me of a sunflower. love the look of it! thanks for stopping by and the follow today. am following you now too! :) andiejaye @ crayonfreckles

AsylumTanya 5/18/2011  

The one home improvement item that frightens my husband the most is the - wait for it - the SHIM! *insert girlie screaming here* However, I feel no such bone-chilling terror. I love what you have created. I love asymmetrical images in artwork so this is top notch! Thanks for sharing! (And keep making things out of shims to scare my husband!) ;)

Laurel@ChippingwithCharm 5/18/2011  

Wow, this turned out great! Laurel@chippingwithcharm

At The Picket Fence 5/19/2011  

It looks absolutely incredible! Your pics of it look like they are from an art gallery or something. :-) Thanks so much for linking this up to Inspiration Friday this week!
Vanessa

grant + brittany 5/19/2011  

WOW. i am so impressed.

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage 5/20/2011  

This is such a creative and inspired project- love how it turned out. Well done! Would love for you to come share this at Feathered Nest Friday sometime :)

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate 5/20/2011  

What a great take on the starburst! It turned out so great !

Cassie {Hi Sugarplum} 5/20/2011  

you are genius with those things!

Michell @ Girl In Air 5/20/2011  

Love your version! Very modern!

Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating 5/22/2011  

I love how it turned out! Very chic, very modern. I hope your sister likes it!

Marie Anne 5/23/2011  

I think it's awesome! Very creative way to come up with a knock off.

Patti @ Pandoras Box 5/23/2011  

Great project...I like how it is assymetrical, too!

canvas prints 5/26/2011  

We print on real woven canvas without plastic coatings and then our canvas prints are custom hand stretched over a strong anti-warping stretcher frame.Canvas Art Print are dedicated not only to providing this fantastic range but also delivering quality landscape canvas prints at an affordable price. We go to great lengths to ensure only the finest, flawless white canvas and kiln-dried pine goes into our canvas prints. Check out our discounts and promotions to see how you can start saving on landscape canvas prints today.

Jen @ EmbellishingLifeEveryday 5/27/2011  

yours looks great! Like the modern look!

gail@My Repurposed Life 5/29/2011  

super job! looks great,
gail

Lesley 6/02/2011  

You know I love this piece! Thanks for linking it up with me, sweetie!

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys 6/02/2011  

That is such a cool looking work of art!

Sarah North 6/09/2011  

very mod, i like it!

canvas art 8/26/2011  

Wall art - Art on canvas. A stunning range of canvas art and canvas prints to suit every space. Excellent quality
prints in a range of sizes at affordable prices.

canvas prints 9/13/2011  

Wall art - Art on canvas. A stunning range of canvas art and canvas prints to suit every space. Excellent quality
prints in a range of sizes at affordable prices.

seo packages 4/07/2012  

Nice post.Thank you for sharing some good things!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...