Thursday, March 10, 2011

DIY Sunburst Mirror

This past weekend, I discovered this amazing DIY sunburst mirror from Addicted to Decorating. I left the window open on my phone and checked it periodically throughout the weekend to see if it was really true. It is amazing, jaw dropping amazing.  Who thinks of these things, well, I guess Kristi does.  I quickly became a follower and checked out her amazing blog. I think I begged my husband to take me to Home Depot that night.

A few days later, I'm introduced to this sunburst mirror by Ballard Design thanks to Addicted 2 Decorating.  Can I say love and I had a totally, I can do this myself moment.  By the way this mirror sells for $349.00.
Kristi from Addicted 2 Decorating was going to initially do this one, but as she set hers up, figured out her plan for the one she made.  Here's how she set it up, genius!
So off to Home Depot and Michael's I went.  Bought my supplies and got to work.  I bought 2 packs of the long cedar shims at Home Depot, a 12" floral ring and an 18" floral ring at Michael's, lots of glue sticks.
I used the same setup as Kristi, and just glued the shims onto the floral rings.  I played around with the spacing a bit before actually gluing to see what look I liked best.
I did one row all the way around.
I glued another row on top filling in the holes/gaps at a different length.  I didn't actually cut the shims, I just placed them closer to the center of the ring.
and another row at varying height again.
I think it was about three rows around in varying lenghts and then a fourth row to fill in where needed.
I ended up taking three trips to Michael's. Awesome. The first mirror I bought was like 7 inches.  This mirror is huge and it looked ridiculous on it.  So I went back after work yesterday and bought a 10 inch mirror.  You can see it in the picture below, still too small.  
I went back to Michael's and bought a 14 inch mirror and I'm loving that it has a bezel.  Looks  more finished.
I very excitedly hot glued the back and yes, the hot glue dried.  So I had to peel it all off and glued with Epoxy, I would've used wood glue if I had it.
I sat some heavy books on it and let it dry.
I am totally in love with it. It's HUGE, 39 inches to be exact.  I'm not sure where I'm going to hang it, but it will find a spot in my house quickly. 

Cost breakdown:
2 packs of cedar shims $10
2 floral rings $5.00 (40% on the big one)
14 inch mirror $5.00 (40% coupon)
Glue ???

Total cost about $20.00. 

Awesome and it really did not take me more than 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  Well, if you include the time and gas wasted to Michael's, that's a different story.

I'll post a picture when we hang it.  What do you think?

Edit to Post: We just hung the mirror and after about an hour the mirror fell,but didn't break.  I did not mix the epoxy glue before I put it on the back of the mirror.  Totally did not read the instructions.  However, this morning one of the wisest bloggers I know, Gail at My Repurposed Life left me a comment about the glue that I used.  She actually recommended that I use mirror mastic sold in hardware stores.  I will be heading to Home Depot to get this tomorrow. 

You can see my mirror hanging here.

The DIY Show Off

62 comments:

ARK 3/10/2011  

i LOVE it!!!

jeanette from everton terrace 3/10/2011  

Another great project! I love it and it's giving me some other ideas :)

Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating 3/10/2011  

That looks amazing!!!! Great job on it.

Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating 3/10/2011  

Oh, and those shims are different fromt the ones I used. Mine were considerably shorter. I really like the length of the ones you used, and that it resulted in a 39-inch sunburst! That's actually what I wanted, because I was intending to make it for J & A's family room to hang above the fireplace, but since mine turned out only 22 inches, it's much too small for their fireplace. So...WOW! I inspired you, and now you've turned around and inspired me. I see another sunburst mirror in my future!!!

Danielle Oakey Interiors 3/10/2011  

wow, this is so great, i can't wait to see it hung!

Unknown 3/10/2011  

Fabulous! I still have to redo a sunburst mirror that a certain kitten broke. I may go for this style instead!

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate 3/10/2011  

Oh that turned out so great!

Anonymous,  3/10/2011  

Wow - I love this! What an awesome idea and I might have to borrow some elements of this for something in my home.

Camilla 3/10/2011  

I'm glad you posted this! I was never into the sunburst mirrors until I started blogging and they are EVERYWHERE and I saw some really good ones. Now I have been wanting one...so NOW I can make one! Very cool!

Anonymous,  3/10/2011  

LOVE! bookmarking your tutorial! :)

Ali Richardson 3/10/2011  

I love love love it!! It's so awesome!!! Can't wait to see where you hang it :)

Amy 3/10/2011  

Looks amazing! Love it better than the one I made! Can't wait to see where you hang it.

Danika Herrick 3/10/2011  

Effin awesome! I even like it without the mirror, it would be a cool wall sculpture.

elizabeth@themustardceiling 3/11/2011  

Wow, this turned out great. I am headed to her blog now to check it out, thanks for sharing.

Megan Gunyan 3/11/2011  

That is awesome. I love the size of it and the wood shims add a wonderful texture. Great job!!

Anonymous,  3/11/2011  

incredible! I am so doing this... love love love it! Great job!!!!

Cassie {Hi Sugarplum} 3/11/2011  

wowza -- that is one fab mirror!!! I think I have a mirror on almost every wall in my house...it's become so vain! but I'd love to make this one, one of my faves I've seen for sure! I'm totally bookmarking it!

A Vintage Vine 3/11/2011  

Beautiful!!! Shims are the way to go!!

LBB 3/11/2011  

What a great idea!! Really want to try this myself!
Also wanted to let you know I passed on the Veratile Blogger award to you :)

Lesley 3/11/2011  

Gasp! That is freaking awesome! I've been wanting to feature you and this makes it obvious that I should.
PS Five Seconds has moved...shhhh!

Megan Gunyan 3/11/2011  

Holy cow! WOW! This is BEEEEEAUTIUFL!

Jon'el 3/11/2011  

I love your mirror! Lol, I love the sunburst mirrors. I like the chuckiness of the shims. I want to attempt one this weekend but at last I finally painted my bedroom and I should be doing my second coat but laziness has got me. I always start something but never finish but I am determined to finish something this weekend.

Katie 3/11/2011  

This.Is.So.Cool. I've seen a couple handmade sunburst mirrors with dowel rods. This is the best looking one yet!

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper 3/12/2011  

Amazing! This looks great
http://itsybitsypaper.blogspot.com

gail@My Repurposed Life 3/13/2011  

love it! you did a great job! a bit of advice, for long time usage, it's recommended that you use a mirror mastic (it comes in a caulk type tube) something about other glues take off the silvering of the mirror.
gail

My Interior Life 3/13/2011  

Your mirror looks great & I love a good DIY! My friend is wanting to do a sunburst mirror for herself so I need to forward your post to her!

aggieam01 3/14/2011  

This looks so expensive! Great job!

At The Picket Fence 3/14/2011  

Yipee! I just became your #200! :-) That mirror is absolutely, jaw-dropping amazing! I seriously can't get over it and we are so thrilled that you shared it at Inspiration Friday this week!
Vanessa

Karen 3/14/2011  

That is gorgeous and amazing,you've got me wondering what else one could do with wood shims. Thanks so much for sharing this. I'm a new follower,

riz 3/14/2011  

great job there. thanks for sharing the how-to's...

i am now following you:)

Andrea 3/14/2011  

I am loving this. I happen to have ton of shims in the basement. Looks like a trip to Michael's is in my near future.

Honey at 2805 3/14/2011  

Great sunburst. You are so creative.

Heather 3/15/2011  

Amazing, serioulsy amazing. Pat yourself on the back for me, nice job!

Trina 3/15/2011  

I love this! I am going to show this off over on my blog on Friday! Come check it out!

Trina@ alove2create.blogspot.com

Ginger@cottageonrosewood 3/15/2011  

Love! Just found your blog and I am so envious of this piece!

Joi 3/15/2011  

This is such a great project! Thanks for sharing!

At The Picket Fence 3/16/2011  

Wow! The creativity out here in blog land is just so incredible! I love your mirror and you sure cannot beat that price! What a fabulous job you did. Thank you so much for linking up to Inspiration Friday At The Picket Fence!

Heather

Unknown 3/20/2011  

I don't know how I missed this! It is so beautiful!

Life Without Whiteout 3/21/2011  

It's gorgeous, AWESOME JOb!!!
www.lifewithoutwhiteout.blogspot.com

Marty 3/22/2011  

For the best adhering in every situation I consult the "this to that" site. http://www.thistothat.com/cgi-bin/glue.cgi?lang=en&this=Glass&that=Wood

Olivia,  3/24/2011  

This looks great and easy to make! I always use wood glue for projects like this.

grammy and papi 3/25/2011  

Beautiful mirror!! Good job.

Have a God Filled Day
Shirley

Homeroad 3/25/2011  

This came out great! Thanks for linking!
Susan

Katie @ Newcomb Home 3/25/2011  

This is a great idea! I featured it on my blog (I hope that is OK!). If you'd like please grab a button!

Kelsey 3/28/2011  

I'm in LOOOOOOOVE! I've been wanting to do one of these mirrors but didn't want to use the whole wooden skewer idea. I like yours WAY better! I'm totally gonna copy you! Thanks so much for the inspiration! :)

Dominique @ Craft Couture 3/29/2011  

cute! Thanks for linking up to Craft Couture Monday!

Dominique @ Craft Couture 3/29/2011  

I wanted to let you know that I feature this today :) http://dominiquescraftcouture.blogspot.com/2011/03/feature-friday-on-tuesday-giveaway.html

Bargain Hoot 3/29/2011  

Love it!! I hope to try it!
Thank you for sharing your beautiful mirror!

The House Creative 4/04/2011  

LOVE it! So, I was planning on making one like the ballard designs one, but I haven't got around to it. I did make a paper one though. Yours turned out beautiful!

kara@elements-interiors.net 4/06/2011  

That is AWESOME!
I would LOVE to have you link up to my PARTY! WHASSUP WEDNESDAY!!

And I have a party button you can grab and put on your blog so your friends can come too:)




*ENTER LINKY PAR-TAY Here! *

xoxokara

Kate Riley 4/07/2011  

Wow, I love it! Yours definitely has a very cool rustic feel and wow what a statement with all those layers. Heart!!

xo
Kate

Anonymous,  4/11/2011  

this is pure genius! thanks for sharing... i am going to home depot and michaels RIGHT NOW!

Carry Grace 5/06/2011  

WOW! This is gorgeous, and it's huge.

Kate 5/10/2011  

This is just an amazing project. I've seen a bunch of DIY sunburst mirrors and this is definitely one of my favorites. I can't believe you made that with shims! Very cool. I might have to make a trip to Home Depot and Michaels...

Karena 5/18/2011  

You have really inspired me!! I love love it!! Thought I was tired of sunburst mirrors until now!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Come and enter my New Giveaway from Serena & Lily! You will love it!

Michell @ Girl In Air 5/19/2011  

Hi! I finally got my sunburst mirror made! I linked to you in my post:-)

Kristin 7/13/2011  

Your mirror looks great! I also used cedar shims from Home Depot. Wherever you decide to put it, I'm sure it will look wonderful!

http://adeterminedeffort.blogspot.com/2011/07/diy-sunburst-mirror.html?spref=bl

Amy 9/07/2011  

I finally got around to making my own sunburst mirror. I love it and I have gotten *so* many compliments! I keep sending people back here for instructions. Here are some pictures: http://wife-hat-mom-hat.blogspot.com/2011/09/diy-sunburst-mirror.html

Unknown 6/15/2015  

So darling! You are so crafty! I love the look of the mirror with the sunburst behind it. It's even better knowing that you made it yourself! I would love a mirror like this in my bedroom, so it looks like I have some crafting to do!

http://www.majesticmirror.com/product-category/backlit-mirrors

Harrow Decor 3/29/2022  

Thank you for such a nice post. Harrow Décor provides a collection of unique and elegant home décor items in various colours and finishes. An ideal store for art lovers who want their homes to look warm and full of life. Our products include Sunburst mirror, big round mirror, Inlay work table, Marble table, Bone inlay table and many more.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...