Friday, April 1, 2011

DIY Black and White Heart Painting

I've been wanting to try making a piece of art.  I'm loving black and white stripes lately and hearts are my favorite.  
I bought a piece of wood/mdf in the scraps at Home Depot. It cost me $1.00 (I bought like 2 more).
I gave it a coat of white paint from my stash.
I got a poster board folded it in half and drew half a heart on the poster.
I cut out the heart and then used some tape to measure out my lines. I know there is a mathematical way to figure this out, but I do things my way.
I then laid the heart on the painted wood and just taped the outside edge of the heart. I did not trace it out because I didn't want to have to deal with repainting the white.  I tore small pieces of tape at a time to get the rounded edges.
Then I laid out my stripes evenly spaced.  I wanted the black at the top and the bottom to give the heart shape.
I painted the inside of the heart black.  Be very careful to attach the tape as best as possible to avoid bleeding of the paint. It happened to me and I had to go back and fix it.  Double the work.
Here it is. I think it's really cute and I'm happy with my first painting attempt.

Cost breakdown:
$1.00 for wood
$4.00 for black paint sample at Home Depot (I have a ton left over)
Total $5.00
I'm trying to figure out how and where to hang it.  I'll keep you posted.  What do you think? Have you tried painting?
The DIY Show Off

 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/
Beyond The Picket Fence

Please see pages on the left sidebar to see what parties I've joined.

29 comments:

Unknown 4/01/2011  

This is so cute! Great idea!

Dwellings by DeVore 4/01/2011  

Looks great! I love black and white stripes!

mary 4/01/2011  

I Must Do This! How retro and modern at the same time! This is my favorite stripey item at the moment--and trust me, I am loving many stripey items at the moment! Super post! Are you gonna show us where you hang it? Happy weekend! xox!

http://theeedgeofblue.blogspot.com

Unknown 4/01/2011  

Cute! I love anything black and white striped! I love painting it's so much fun.

Anonymous,  4/01/2011  

very cute!

Unknown 4/01/2011  

You cant go wrong with black & white & I love that you have mixed the stripes within a heart

ARK 4/01/2011  

pretty awesome! I'm impressed your lines didn't bleed...I normally don't do projects like this because I can 't get them as exact as yours - kudos!

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate 4/01/2011  

This turned out great. I love anything black and white and this is perfect.

Nyssa Christie 4/01/2011  

That turned out great! I too am in love with stripes and chevrons right now!

Boden 4/01/2011  

Love this! Great idea, and who doesn't love a quick project?!? I'd love for you to come check out my blog sometime, www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com

Ali Richardson 4/01/2011  

I really really really LOVE this! SO pretty! Can't wait to see where you hang it ;)

Unknown 4/01/2011  

It is so nice that I have found your blog about your link on Remodelaholic. So I have a little scrolled and I like what I've seen. Now I’m your new follower !;)

Take care
Tine

Becky 4/02/2011  

I really love this project! Thanks so much for sharing. I think I'll have to try it!

Marilyn 4/02/2011  

WOW - I absolutely LOVE this.. Soo creative!! I'm stopping by from http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com, hope you can stop by sometime..Tons of fun inspirations :))

Elle Uy 4/03/2011  

really cute idea! I love stripes on everything. haha

Camilla 4/03/2011  

I think this is so cute! Where are you going to hang it? I'm linked up by you on a couple link parties.

Cassie {Hi Sugarplum} 4/04/2011  

So cute!!! I'm crazy for black and white stripes! you always come up with the most creative projects!

Kristen 4/04/2011  

This is so cute! I'm a brand new follower - would love if you'd check out my blog, too.

Kristen
www.decoratingdiy.blogspot.com

SkinnyMeg 4/08/2011  

That is adorable! I love the black and white!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence 4/08/2011  

Very bold and cute! Thanks so much to linking up to Beyond The Picket Fence.

Anonymous,  4/08/2011  

easy, inexpensive, I like it. Stop by wednesday and link it to my party! goobyecityhellosuburbs

gail@My Repurposed Life 4/09/2011  

I love this! it's so simple, but just perfect!
great job!
gail

mary 4/12/2011  

I was inspired by your post (as previously commented!!) and am gonna link my post tomorrow to you! woot woot! xox!

Style, Decor & More 4/17/2011  

You make it look easy! Maybe I could actually do it? I like that it's inexpensive!

I'm a new follower from the Creative Bloggers' Hop! Hope you can hop by my blog too!

http://stylendecordeals.blogspot.com/

Jewels For Hope 4/19/2011  

great DIY! It looks so nice! :)
New follower - really like your blog! :)
-Stevie

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime 4/19/2011  

Hey, girlie! Your first painting attempt is a success :) Thank you for sharing this at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :)

Timber and Lace 4/20/2011  

What a great project. I am a follower now. Check out the chevron art I did at www.timberandlace.blogspot.com on Thurs.

Emreen 6/13/2011  

WoW ! I love this.... Yours has turned out perfect... !!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...