Friday, July 1, 2011

Cherry Blossoms - Sister Files

I found these two frames at Goodwill for $1.00 each a while back. They've been sitting in my pile of stuff for my sister.  As I mentioned in yesterdays post, I am clearing stuff out of my house.  Which means, tons of painting and back breaking work.  I loved the frames (plastic again), but the paintings were not really what I had in mind.  
I used Rustoleum white spray paint for plastic on the frames. On the canvas, I used Rustoleum's Aqua.  I love the color choices and selection available in Rustoleum products.  They are my go to spray paint choice.
I then did the same technique that I used on my sister's chandelier with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.  I filled a cup with about two fingers of water and then I dipped the tip of a paintbrush in the can of paint and then dipped it in the water and mixed it up.  I then brushed the canvas over and over. It's a weird finish at first, kind of bubbly, but just keep brushing and brushing.  Eventually it evens out and softens the color on the canvas.  It's hard to tell in the picture, but the finish is beautiful.
I got out my paintbrushes and started mixing paint. I had to call my mom, the art teacher, about color mixing. I only had a few colors on hand and was covered in paint.  I then drew some branches and cherry blossoms. 
I was inspired by this image at the House of Giggles.
The finish was a little harsh, so I did the same brushing of chalk paint and water over the painting. It gave it a soft, feminine feel.  I'm loving the look of it in these frames. Here's my version.
They will be hanging by the mirror, I posted about yesterday. I'm loving the softness of these paintings and for $2 total cost, you can't go wrong.  Have you tried painting?

Click  here to see where I'll be partying!

My Repurposed Life



The DIY Show Off

25 comments:

Cassie Bustamante 7/01/2011  

those are gorgeous! i am a huge cherry blossom fan, and those are beautiful!

Jonel 7/01/2011  

I love them! I cant paint but the bf can. If only I could decide what he should paint.

gail@My Repurposed Life 7/01/2011  
This comment has been removed by the author.
gail@My Repurposed Life 7/01/2011  

thank you! :)
I have NOT tried painting, well, actually I have, and I'm terrible at it. :)
Great job with your new art!
gail

Carrie @ Hazardous Design 7/01/2011  

Wow. I'm blown away by how good these came out. The whitewash gives the painting a romantic & ethereal quality.
Next time I'm thrifting, I'll need to pay closer attention to the frames themselves and not what is inside them!

Two Thirty Five Designs 7/01/2011  

Wow! These look amazing!!! Loving the background color and the frames are awesome, well done!

Suzanne@Meridian Road 7/01/2011  

SO pretty and dreamy looking! I love the soft colors! The frames look great, too.

Camilla 7/01/2011  

Cute...Love Cherries!

Tracey @ My House of Giggles 7/01/2011  

I love the softness of your paintings!! And I'm completely flattered that you found inspiration in mine :) Thanks for the mention! I love you blog, by the way....can't wait to look around some more :)

BluBabesCreate 7/02/2011  

Okay I loved the paintings from beforehand. I know, I'm weird like that. But still gorgeous and stunning.

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate 7/02/2011  

What a great transformation and these are so gorgeous! Thanks for linking up to this week's BFF party!

Erin @ His and Hers 7/02/2011  

I can't believe you painted right over those other paintings! I never would have thought to do that. They look great, and I so agree about the selection of Rustoleum spray paint! (Sometimes I think there is TOO much of a selection when I am standing bewildered in the aisle for several numbing minutes.) :)

Thank you for stopping by my blog, and for your nice comment about our bathroom! :)

Bri@Meyouandawiener 7/05/2011  

Ohh those are purty, I've done the same and recycled the canvas. White paint fixes everything!

jess@balancing the dream 7/05/2011  

Beautiful set of paintings!!

Confessions of a Stay at Home Mommy 7/05/2011  

So pretty! I would love it if you would link up to my Tuesday Confessional link party going on now: http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/07/tuesday-confessional-link-up-2.html. I hope to see you soon!
~Macy from Confessions of a SAHM

Maggie Lamarre 7/06/2011  

wow luv luv the pastel colour!
Don't forget to add it to our weekly party for our readers to discover.
http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/07/weekly-talent-search-with-linking-party.html
Thanks
Maggie

mary 7/06/2011  

SOo Lovely! You are the paint makeover princess! xox!

Michelle {Jarrah Jungle} 7/06/2011  

I love these frames diy art is the best, you know its one of a kind! Getting little snippets of your home in the background I'm off to have a little look around your blog for some more (but not in a creepy way lol) Thanks for sharing :)

Deana 7/06/2011  

ooooh, la la. beautiful!!

Julia @ 551Eastdesign 7/07/2011  

I love cherry blossoms:) Fantastic! I found you at The DIY Showoff!

Mary @ Redo 101 7/07/2011  

good job, and I really love the cost!!!

Unknown 7/08/2011  

I love cherry blossoms! You did a great job! Come check out my site when you get a chance.

Just Jaime 7/08/2011  

Pretty! Love the color and softness!

Carolyn 7/10/2011  

Very simple and elegant. Will look lovely with the mirros.

Lesley 7/14/2011  

Love it and featured it as my fave for tomorrow's party! Come back and share again, yeah?!?

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...