Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Fabric Memo Board

Last week, Sister #3, my mom, and I spent the day crafting at her house.  My mom did crafts with the kids, while we worked on a few projects.  My sister moved into her house 3 years ago, with a 3-4 month old and shortly after that she found out she was having my niece.  Needless to say, the the house got some basic fixes, but decorating was last on the list.  In the past few months, they have been slowly transforming their house into a home.  They bought gorgeous furniture and reconfigured the layout of their house.  Little by little, they have started accessorising, and it is looking great.  She asked me for some help with some projects and I happily obliged.  First on the list, covering this old cork board for her new office nook (as she's calling it).
We added one layer of batting and just used a staple gun to attach.
Next we added a layer of fabric, pulling as tight as we could.  Her office nook is in her dining room and she wants to keep the same color scheme throughout.  Her colors are greys, pewters, and red accents.  We found this fabric at Joann's Fabric.
We then laid out pieces of ribbon to see what felt right.
Once we figured out how many would work, we measured it out to keep it perfectly aligned.
We hot glued the ribbon to the back (if trying this, make sure you keep the ribbon very tight).  We interwove the ribbon to keep it stronger.
We then added thumbtacks for some bling and to make the slots more user friendly.
 Here it is.  I'm loving the red, white, and grey/pewter color all together. 
I'll be showing you some more projects that we've been working on when we finish them up.  Have you tried making a message board?

The DIY Show Off


 

I'll be joining these linky parties

26 comments:

Melz 7/13/2011  

Such a fun project :)

Maggie Lamarre 7/13/2011  

wow, wow I luv luv this tutorial...
Thank you so much for joining our party this week, thank you for helping us be a success.
you are featured this week at

http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/07/flower-tutorial-with-linking-party-on.html

Maggie
Passionatelyartistic.com

Ali Richardson 7/13/2011  

WOW! SO pretty! Yes, I've made a couple memo boards, but on a much smaller scale than this one. great job!

Stitchfork 7/13/2011  

Love the colors you chose! And sounds like fun help you had there too!
xo Cathy

Anonymous,  7/13/2011  

Very very nice. Sometimes these boards are so pretty (like this one) it's hard to fill them with photographs :)

jeanette from everton terrace

Jo-Anna@APrettyLife 7/13/2011  

This is so so pretty! I love the colours you chose!
Jo-Anna

PaperVine 7/14/2011  

Love this project - it looks wonderful. Will definitely be trying this!

Sherri Spichiger 7/14/2011  

Could I become an honorary sister? Please? Seriously, I love your stuff. Keep posting, pretty, pretty please!

Suzanne 7/14/2011  

Love it, I have a cork board that is screaming for a makeover! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

SkinnyMeg 7/14/2011  

Very cute, I really love your choice of color and fabric!

Cynthia 7/14/2011  

Great Memo Board! Love the fabric!

At The Picket Fence 7/14/2011  

I love that! What great fabric and the colors are just gorgeous. Thanks for sharing it with us at Inspiration Friday this week! :-)
Vanessa

scrapwordsmom 7/15/2011  

I have an old corkboard...this is a great idea!!

Fonda @Southern Scraps 7/15/2011  

That fabric and board is gorgeous!

Unknown 7/15/2011  

I love it and the colors are so beautiful!

Lesley 7/15/2011  

This is lovely. Really. I love the red and gray combo and the damask and silky ribbon. You did good, kid. :)

Suzy 7/15/2011  

I love your choice of colors! Really great job.

Amy at Ameroonie Designs 7/15/2011  

The colors really are lovely! What a fun board that will be for her! :)
xoxo,
Amy

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate 7/16/2011  

I love everything about this...the colors the pattern of the fabric...everything. Thanks for sharing at this week's BFF Open House!

BubbleCrumb 7/17/2011  

So cute and creative! This would look WAY nicer than my old cork board!!

Lisa @ Cozy Condo Living 7/17/2011  

What a fun way to display pics and other memorabilia. I love that fabric!!!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence 7/17/2011  

I love the fabric, turned out beautifully! Thanks for linking up to Beyond the Picket Fence.

Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating 7/17/2011  

Love the fabric you used! Looks great.

Allison Shops 7/17/2011  

Pretty!
Dropping by from Met Monday.

Allison
Atticmag

Chari 7/19/2011  

Wow that looked super easy and beautiful!! You go!! :) I hope you guys had a great time creating!

Stopping by from the Creative Bloggers Blog Hop!


~Blessings to you!

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com 7/20/2011  

This memo board is cute and functional. I'm hosting my first link party and would love if you would join us. http://savedbysuzy.blogspot.com/2011/07/linky-time-suzys-house-party-thursday.html

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...