Wednesday, November 24, 2010

DIY Book Page Wreath

So it seems like I am loving this craft thing too much. I have been eyeing this book page wreath tutorial by Emily at JonesDesignCompany for some time.  I have seen a few others out there, but this one is my favorite.  Well, I think anything that Emily does is my favorite. She is incredibly talented and everything she does is so tasteful and beautiful.

I bought a flat wreath from Michael's and found an old book from an undergraduate philosophy class. I tore out the pages, carefully. (I ripped quite a few)

I folded the pages in three.  In the tutorial, they are more rolled up then folded, which I realized after.  However, my obsessive, methodical brain could probably not handle them not being perfectly folded.  I kept the rough edge on the outside. 

I then glued a layer all the way around.  This is now the back of the wreath.

Then I flipped it over and did the same thing on the other side.

This picture below shows the front layer and back layer.

For the next layer, I did not cut the book page, I just layered it lower so I would have an overhang in the center. 

I folded this layer into the back of the wreath and glued it.  This just made the center of the wreath appear neater.

The next few layers, I cut the folded papers and just kept layering until desired fullness.  I was actually surprised at how many layers it took.  I then filled in any empty spaces with more folded papers.

 I glued a black satin ribbon to the back.

Just a warning, insane amounts of glue were used for this lovely wreath.  Beware, hot glue can get very hot. I stuck my hand straight on freshly placed glue.  I have 3 blisters, this one being the worst.

And here it is, it is much more tailored then the original.  Like I said earlier, I am a little methodical and didn't realize how loosely rolled the original one was.  This also the reason that it took so many layers. 

Here is the original from the tutorial.

I love this wreath. I love that mine ended up being unique in its own way.  It's actually probably more 'me' than the original.  I tend to see things in straight lines.  Thank you Emily for your beautiful tutorial.

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving.  We are starting early.  We will be having dinner tonight at my parents house, as my sister has to leave out of town for a wedding.  I love this holiday.  So many things to be thankful for and so many blessings in my life.

***Edit post-I joined a linky party at Centsational Girl
Visit thecsiproject.com

8 comments:

FROM THE RIGHT BANK 11/24/2010  

This is fantastic! I love both versions. Yours turned out great. What a great idea! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. Happy Thanksgiving!

danielle @ take heart 11/24/2010  

love it! this is on my to do list for this weekend!

Unknown 11/24/2010  

Haha! Fabulous! You know? Right now I would adore to tear off into peaces a book regarding classic philosophers...but your idea is better! Xoxo Maca

A Perfect Gray 11/25/2010  

OK, I LOVE THIS! I think I posted a wreath made from book pages months ago, but I don't think it looked as good as yours. I really want to try this!

donna

Kellie Collis 11/26/2010  

What a clever idea! I like it when things are made up unexpectedly. Have a lovely holiday, Kellie xx

Brandie 11/28/2010  

Loving your DIY wreaths! :)

Thanks for visiting my blog. Happy Holidays!

ModFruGal 1/05/2011  

Nice job...I love that it's a philosophy wreath!!

Margaret 2/04/2011  

That definitely looks like your mid-century style! More structured, but still with heart and interest.

I totally am going to the Faith Farm sale this weekend- there's a location up in Boynton Beach, which is closer to me in Delray- hopefully its as good as the one in Lauderdale!

xo,
Margaret

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...