Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Felt Flower Pouf

I am so excited about today's little project.  This is another project from my Pinterest - DIY to Try board that I've been wanting to try.  I pinned this flower pouf on Pinterest a while ago.  The Etsy shop is Live Life In Lime and she has the most adorable items in her shop. I would have to say my favorite is this felted flower pouf.  I absolutely love it.  This is not for the weak hearted, or the weak handed for that matter.  Unless you have one of those handy dandy electric scissors, be warned. I have some major respect for her, after making my own.  This pouf my friends, takes a lot, I mean a lot of cutting circles. 
I had this pouf in my family room that I bought on clearance at Target a few years ago.  There was nothing wrong with it, it (or I) just needed something new. 
I bought a grey fabric and cut out two circles for the top and a long strip for the sides.
Here's where my mom came in.  She's been teaching me to sew.  Right now, I'm on straight lines.  I have that down.  This, however, required some fancy work.  Along the side panels we sewed a stitch and then you pull one of the threads and scrunch it to create the roundness for a circle.  Sounds more complicated than it actually is.  Here's my mom showing me how to do it.
Then you pin it to the round piece of fabric and sew it on.
I bought a yard of grey felt and a yard of cream colored felt. I cut long strips and then cut them into squares.  My mom lent me an electric scissor about half way into me cutting and it was a life saver...no sorry, hand saver (if that makes any sense).
I cut the circles about 2 inches.
I also cut a larger circle of about 8 inches as my base.
Then I just started gluing.  My first layer is on the outer edge. Place the circles as far out as possible as it makes the flower bigger. The bigger the better (less you have to make).  I used Fabric-Tac from Joann Fabrics.  I imagine sewing them on would have been a great idea, but this glue seems to be pretty strong. 
Just keep going around and around until you get to the center.
Then I cut out what seemed to be three attached circles (I forgot to take a picture) and I hand sewed a stitch to the center to give them this shape.  I then glued it to the center of the flower.
I added a bunch of the glue to the back.
I then glued them to the pouf.
We had left the seems open to insert the cushion, so I just hand sewed it closed.
Keep gluing and gluing until you get this.
Here it is in my family room.
I would have to say this is one of my favorite projects. It looks beautiful in my family room and adds just the right amount of whimsy (this is so not a word I use, hmm) to my modern space. I can imagine this in shades of pink in a little girls room.  If you plan on tackling this, it's not as scary as it looks, it just takes time.  I have a total of 17 flowers with about 45 petals on each.  What do you think? 

I am participating in the Young House LoveBower Power, Joey and Lana, and Emily Henderson's 

I'll be linking up to these parties

46 comments:

Connie 8/02/2011  

Wow! That looks wonderful, amazing job :)
Connie

mary 8/02/2011  

That is an Amazing commitment and of course it looks great! xox!

Maury @ Life on Mars 8/02/2011  

Amazing! What a fun idea. You are so creative! Thanks for visiting my blog last week! I'm a new follower.

Two Thirty Five Designs 8/02/2011  

I LOVE this!!! It would look great for newborn pics!! OR in my living room ;) Fabulous job!

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com 8/02/2011  

That might be the cutest thing I have ever seen! And you have some patience, to do all of those petals. Good job!

Gloria 8/02/2011  

I have LOVED that pouf since I first saw it. I may have to try making my own too! It looks great!

Unknown 8/02/2011  

It turned out awesome!

Jae 8/02/2011  

amazing. it looks great.

Anonymous,  8/02/2011  

So cute!

jeanette from everton terrace 8/02/2011  

Wow! It looks great. I absolutely do not have the patience to do something like this. Bravo.

Tammy @ Type A 8/02/2011  

what the? that is BEAUTIFUL! now i need to find an ottoman and get cutting! thanks for partying with me!

MELISSA 8/02/2011  

THIS IS SO NEAT! FOUND YOUR BLOG VIA YOUR COMMENT....LOVE YOUR HOME!!!!!

Melz 8/02/2011  

SO cute!!! Love it!

Hollie @ I'm Busy Procrastinating 8/03/2011  

Have your hands recovered from all that cutting and gluing yet? The pouf is so cute!

I also wanted to let you know that I'm presenting you with the One Lovely Blog Award. Congrats!

http://www.imbusyprocrastinating.com/2011/07/one-lovely-blog-award.html

Holly Gruszka 8/03/2011  

I'm not a huge pouf fan but this is really awesome and it's DIY - bravo sister! Looks great in your living area and could be great in a basement, playroom, or nursery. Nice job.

The Cuban In My Coffee 8/04/2011  

This is absolutely adorable! I thought about it today again while I was driving. I have never been to Pinecrest but I signed up last night. Now I just need to take the time to go figure it out. I may do a couple of these in my daughter's room. I saw a show on HGTV that I've never seen before called HIGH LOW and they made a pouf with Ikat where they make the inside with wood and foam backing. Super cool!

Lesley 8/04/2011  

Oh for Pete's sake. Can you stop being good at everything for a second? ♥

Holly 8/04/2011  

This is so fabulous! I can't imagine how long it must've taken, but well worth it!! Enjoyed your blog!

Holly 8/04/2011  

Would you mind if I shared this on my blog with a link back to you?
thanks!

Sommer 8/05/2011  

Oh mother of all things felted! I'm so proud of you! LOL The last project I did that was this daunting was a 1x1in paper tile mosaic and omg never again! LOL. Your poof (or whatever it's called) is totally AWESOME!
I hope you will come share this at my VIP party today. http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/08/vip-party-22.html

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate 8/05/2011  

You never cease to amaze me! This is just so fresh and elegant. Love it. Thanks for linking up to this week's BFF!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy 8/06/2011  

Ohhhh! It's so pretty!!

DIYbyDesign 8/06/2011  

Super cute! I love how it came out.

B.Cheniful 8/06/2011  

this is SOOO AMAZING! I hate using a sewing machine (it's me, not you) but I could totally manage a few of these AWESOME flowers to put on a throw pillow. Thanks for the inspiration!!!!

Jennifer 8/06/2011  

Wow - a lot of work, but it came out so good!! LOVE! I think I may need to pin yours!! I would love it if you would come link this up to Saturday Social. Thanks for sharing the tutorial!!

http://socialsalutations.blogspot.com/2011/08/saturday-social-week-11.html

- Jenn @ Social Salutations

Unknown 8/06/2011  

This is so cute! And oh my I am so impressed with your skills! My hands definitely wouldn't have held out for this work of art. Kudos!

Anonymous,  8/06/2011  

Very fun, looks like a lot of work! I have never heard of electric scissors before. I need me some of those and a mom that will help me like yours. Thanks for the tutorial!

Carolyn 8/07/2011  

What an excellent idea! The pouf is very useful, but also a bit dated. With all the work you've done, you have given it a new lease on life, making it a room feature. Lovely.

Chelsea @ two twenty one 8/07/2011  

LOVE it! It looks awesome in your living room! You did an awesome job!

Gina 8/07/2011  

Wow, that's amazing! Love it!

Tanya Anurag 8/08/2011  

This is so beautiful. I can understand how difficult the task of cutting would have been. So many circles... good job!!

I am hosting my first link-up party - Tea Time Thursdays @ Kreative Korner. Would be glad to see some of your awesome posts there. Hope to see you at the party.

http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/2011/08/celebrating-one-party-time.html

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate 8/08/2011  

Wanted to let you know that I featured this as part of my "Blog Feature Friday Open House" wrap up! Come grab a featured button from my sidebar if you like :)

Kelee Katillac 8/08/2011  

Just a great job! Thank-you for posting it...inspiration!

We need creative souls like you! Please consider being apart of Miracle Makeover Week for kids with cancer... Met Monday will feature next week...for more on how to create a post for it go to www.designgivesback.com

love, kelee

Jessa Smith 8/08/2011  

These are so adorable for pictures! I love the flowers used too - they can be used on a lot of different projects! It looks great!

~Jessa
www.jessajill.blogspot.com

Unknown 8/08/2011  

What an awesome pillow! You did an amazing job, so pretty! I'd love for you to link up at my Tuesday Tutorials link party! I'll be hosting one every Tuesday, the link is open now :) Hope to see you there!

http://www.thekurtzcorner.com/2011/08/tuesday-tutorials-link-party-1.html

The Ellis' 8/09/2011  

That is gorgeous! I need one of those! We would love for you to share this at our link party and come enter our free digital scrapbooking software giveaway!

Love,
The Sisters @ Six Sister's Stuff

http://sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com/search/label/Strut%20Your%20Stuff%20Saturday

http://sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-memories-digital-scrapbooking.html

Roeshel 8/11/2011  

So so pretty!!! Thanks for sharing your creativity in the DIY Project Parade! Love seeing what you've been up to! ;)

Spunky Junky 8/12/2011  

I love it! It goes perfectly in your living room! Everytime I come to your blog I am always in envy of your great ideas. The pouf is awesome!!!

I am featuring you today on SJ!!!

Halz

Bri@Meyouandawiener 8/18/2011  

Sooo purty!

I still can't get over your ceiling. Super jealous.

Delightful Deets 8/19/2011  

It's beautiful! You did an amazing job, I featured this on my Friday 5! Have a great weekend!

Anonymous,  8/25/2011  

I have been looking for this for a couple of years now. Thank you so much! The original version is pretty pricey and is from Modern Dose! It comes with a price tag of 438.00

Lori V 9/23/2011  

I just LOVE your flower pouf. I think I will have to try this. Thanks for sharing the idea

Anonymous,  11/18/2011  

I have made one of these myself.. I used a big shot and circle die#2 to cut my felt circles.. MUCH EASIER than hand cutting them!!!

Tatiana 4/23/2013  

You did an amazing job!! I'll be making one for the nursery (hope so). Thank you very much for the DIY tutorial.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...