Monday, October 24, 2011

Polishing Marble

I'm so glad to be back to my regularly scheduled program.  Last week we had our floors polished and had been to lazy to reconnect the computer. I asked/begged my husband to do it for me, until I finally did it myself this morning at 6:00 a.m.  Here are some before pictures of our floors.  These floors were once mirror shiny.  You can see, especially in high traffic areas (like our kitchen), how dull they look.
Here's another dull spot.   
The first step in the process, is getting all of our belongings out of the way. Luckily the workers did this for us. An option that would have sped things up was placing everything outside, but as you can see the dull skies in the background, that was not an option.
Here are all our accessories.  I had prepped this myself the night before.
 Look at this craziness. 
So basically, the first step of the process is they strip or take away a hair thick layer of the marble.  They use a cleaner, water, a salty like substance, and a grinder (not sure the name of the machine).  You can see here the floor completely stripped.
They spot treat any holes or imperfections.  They then use the polishing machine with another polishing liquid.  Here you can see where he has placed the liquid.  Then they put a sealer and then buff the floors to get maximum shine.
 Here you can see the start of shine.
I took these pictures this morning and the sun hasn't really come out yet, so you can't get the whole effect. (I'll update the pictures later today).  This is the same spot as the first picture.
You can see the furniture, vases, and art reflected in the floor.  When the sun is out, you can see the trees, as well.
The difference is huge.  The house feels so much cleaner.  The floors feel brand new again.  We had this process done 8 years ago and it should really be done every 3 years.  The company was great and a team of 3-4 guys worked for 12 hours straight.   It was a long day.  I took advantage that I was home and organized papers in our office and cleaned out those corners in the house you never get to.  It feels so good to cross something off the list.

9 comments:

Cassie Bustamante 10/24/2011  

welcome back! and holy do those floors look gorgeous or what! i want to dance on them. NOW!

Rashon Carraway 10/24/2011  

Its stunning for sure. Like a nice art gallery.


Mr. Goodwill Hunting

Ali Richardson 10/24/2011  

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO SO pretty & shiny! Awesome!!! (do you think I should contact uprinting if they haven't contacted me yet??)

Lisa @ Turning Tables 10/24/2011  

OMG! That looks so beautiful! :)

Ashley 10/24/2011  

Gorgeous! It looks like you live in an art gallery!

TwoThirtyFiveDesigns 10/24/2011  

Oh my Goodness, look at that shine!!! Gorgeous!!!

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys 10/24/2011  

They came out gorgeous! Will you share the name of the company you used? I'm looking for someone to restore my terrazzo and companies that restore marble usually do terrazzo as well.
Thanks.

Unknown 10/28/2011  

They look great! Your house makes me happy!

Aaamarble care 12/15/2012  

I am very happy after the visit of this blog because it contains an informative and amazing post which i liked very much. I really appreciated this post. Please keep up the great work.


Sealing Services

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...